Saturday, October 2, 2010

Crazy Uncle

Crazy Uncle
My uncle takes crazy pills. I saw him take two before he started drinking one night. I asked what they were, and he told me they were his crazy pills.
He was staying with us for a few days. He didn’t have a job he got disability. He said it was a big check. My grandpa said it is as much as a first year teacher.
One day I went to school. My uncle was still sleeping.
I often got bullied by fifth graders. It was during lunch, but mostly walking home from my bus stop. I was good in school, but I hated going.
After school one day I was being chased by 3 fifth graders. My uncle was on the side porch smoking a cigarette. He saw me running. He dropped his cigarette when he saw them catch me.
My crazy uncle sprung into action. He took some rocks from my family’s drive way and started throwing them. The first one hit me in the face. He came closer, and started throwing them at the fifth graders.
They let me go.
My uncle started yelling. “Get some rocks!”
I got some and started throwing them as I stood side by side with my uncle. We nailed the fifth graders with the rocks so hard they began to cry.
Then the fifth graders ran away in defeat.
My crazy uncle padded me on the back.
“Ha they’ve retreated.”
“Are we in trouble?” I asked.
“Why would we be in trouble?” My uncle asked.
I didn’t have an answer.
We both went inside I kissed mom on the cheek and my uncle cracked opened a beer.
“How was your Day?” My mom asked.
“I don’t think we have to worry about the big kids anymore.” I answered.
“Did you talk it out?” My mom asked.
“I took care of it.” My uncle answered.
My mom dropped the dish she was cleaning, and it shattered.
“Oh God!”
“What did you do?” My mom demanded to know.
“I said I took care of it.” My uncle said.
Suddenly there was a knock at the door.
“Mrs. Jepson!”
My mom went to the screen door where another mother was standing. My uncle followed.
“Mrs. Jepson, your son threw rocks at my Daniel and his friends. Daniel has a big knot on his forehead.”
My uncle laughed out loud.
The mom stopped and looked at my uncle as I peaked my head around the corner to see if I was in trouble.
“Sir this is not funny.” The mom said shakenly to my uncle’s razor burn and bed head.
“Sir? Do I look like an officer bitch?”
“What?!” The mom yelled.
“You were the one who threw them to.” She stammered.
“Rocks?” My mom questioned.
The mom went on to say. “Yes-“
“Your boy is to big to be bullying on my nephew. I should burn your house down.” My uncle interrupted.
“Rocks? Bullying?” My mom still questioned.
The mom left after she saw my uncle about ready to punch through the screen door.
“What is going on?” My mom asked.
“How long has this been going on?” My uncle asked as he looked at me tip toeing up the stairs.
“It started last year.” I answered.
“What started last year?” My mom asked.
“Your son was being picked on so I stepped in.”
“You stepped in! They go to elementary school!”
“Do you think she is going to call the cops?” My uncle asked.
I stopped at the top of the stairs.
“I wouldn’t be surprised! You threatened to burn her house down!?” My mom yelled.
“I don’t know where she lives.” My uncle said trying to be reassuring.
A few hours later the cops came. I was watching tv with my crazy uncle. My mom answered the door.
My uncle looked at me.
“If they asked you any questions tell them I have been off my medication for 3 months.”
I nodded not knowing what my uncle had in mind.
“Jacob! The police are here.” My mom yelled.
Jacob was my uncle’s name. He went to the front door.
I didn’t hear what was said but I heard hand cuffs. I went to the front door.
“He’s been off his medication for three months.” I told the two police officers.
“Really?” One of the police inquired.
They eventually took my uncle away.
I later found out that the fifth grader’s parents didn’t press charges after hearing that my uncle was a combat vet. My crazy uncle came back after two weeks.
My crazy uncle had a big smile on his face.
“They put me in the psyche ward again. It was the easiest time I ever did.”
He padded me on the back.
“All for you buddy boy.”
Finally he cracked open another beer and sat in the front room watching tv with me. My mom didn’t know what to say but still she smiled.

No comments: