Wednesday, November 17, 2010

a veteran named John

11/17/10

John was a radar operator during the Vietnam era. One time he was in the field and the ground, where he slept and where he worked was covered with trantulas. He told us that they had to flick them off step on them and what not.
John and I got along.
Most of the guys in my veterans group were older and from the Vietnam era. Being the youngest I was often asked,"So what are you going to do for the rest of your life?"
I was annoyed by that question whenerver I was at Mcguire.
I guess JOhn was annoyed he told me to tell them that I was retired which he enjoyed telling other people.
John hated religion and he hated Barack Obama he often asked the doctors and the social workers if those subjects would be avoided in group discussions. He often complained or left the room when someone mentioned the president or Jesus. That annoyed me.
One day in Men's group he talked about a woman or a random sexual enccounter. He got an STD known as the clap from this particualr woman. Most of his stories about sexual enccounters ended with what STD he got from it.
One day, I wasn't there, but the other vets discussed how hard it was to take a risk when you got older. This was in psychotherapy. In my opinion, risk are always hard. However we are took a risk in joining the military.
John's delimna (one of many) was that he was starting to feel lonely.
He said in group that all of us are social butterflies when we are in here but when we leave we are loners.
John had been talking to an ex-girlfriend of his who lived in Wisconsin.
I guess things were getting pretty hot and heavy when I showed up one day to find out JOhn had had left for Wisoonsin. He was keeping in contact with a doctor, who we both had a crush on. The doctor told the group that day that it wasn't working out.
SHe told me that he specifficlly told her to tell me that he may be back.
However, he never came back. He relocated to Puerto Rico. This was about the time summer was done and the weather was becoming cooler.
John usually wore his flip flops and shorts for as long as he could.God only knows why he moved to Wisconsin for a woman. I am sure the cold got to him as well.
When I heard he moved to Puerto Rico, it made me smile. John was in the heat. He was probably at the beach right then and there maybe bare footed and soaking up the raze.
I missed JOhn and even the annoyance.