Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Jordache

I needed a new pair a shoes for school and basketball. I played basketball at my church.
My dad took me to an inexpensive shoe store and pretty much let me loose. That is where I saw them. Jordache sounded like JOrdans as in MIchael Jordan. I thought they were expensive maybe Mr. Jordan made these too. NOt only that but they were black and since I was with my dad he let me get them because my mom didn't like black tennis shoes. I guess she thought they were associated with the so called bad crowd.
I tried them on, they were comfortable, and I honestly thought they made me jump higher.
I went to basketball practice and my coach nicknamed me windex, because I would, so he said, clean the glass backboards getting the rebounds. Yes these shoes did make me jump higher.
School was a different story. I grew up in South Roanoke where nike and addidas reigned. I thought my shoes were made by nike even though I couln't find the nike swoosh on them.
I got made fun of untill I thought I was going to cry. I don't remember if it was because I was wrong about these shoes that didn't actually make me jump higher or because I couldn't afford the same shoe the kids in my neighborhood could afford.
Rich kid evolution has for the most part nothing to do with strength but it does have something to do with name brand clothes. It all seems ridiculous now on both sides.
 

No comments: