Sunday, October 14, 2012

What is Epic about you?

Back when I drank in bars, I was at Applebees, and it turned out some of my neighbors were there talking about cars. I didn't know anything about cars but I was still interested. One of my neighbors had this car that you could always hear when he was coming or going. It was grey with a spoiler on the back.
Eventually they asked me, "What kind of car do you drive?"
I answered, "Toyota Camry."
One snickered, and another shrugged their shoulders.
Then someone said, "That's almost as bad as prius."
They laughed and I even snickered. They were surprise by this.
THey mentioned this guy who the fast and furious movies were based on.
He said, "I've been faster up side down then most people have been their entire lives."
I was impressed but it didn't make me want to drag.
"Have you ever gone really fast?" One asked.
"I've been on a roller coaster." I answered.
One snickered and another shrugged his shoulders.
One of them started to explain to me the thrills of going fast. If I was in my twenties or younger I would probably take them up on their offer to ride with them.
Over the years I have gotten use to the typical man questioning me. Chances are most guys out their wouldn't understand not only writing poetry but sending it off only to be rejected. Writing. I Invest in my own writing like my neighbors invest in their cars. I can't see myself doing anything else. It is in my blood just like turing wrenches is in their blood.
As my mom would say it is a "Pissing contest."
I didn't mention to them that sometimes I feel the need to put on the gloves and go at it. I didn't mention to them that in basic training I was the only one to volunteer to carry the M240 bravo, which is a machine gun that weighed about 25 pounds, when ever we went out marching.
My dad has said to me and my brother to have a balance.
During little league my dad would not only help coach the team but sometimes after dinner we would walk to the baseball field near our house and he would hit pop up and grounders to me. He took time for me.
At a young age I have questioned the typical man. I would question the stereotype. Afterall they would question me for driving a Camry to put it one way. I didn't want to be like them.
I found that when I went to bars I was with a bunch of guys. One guy would be talking and I would be searching for the women.
In my opinion the barfly is not what you want to be. I am all in favor of after a busy work week or something like that to go out and have a couple. The point of this is not to ask the male race to sober up, but quit competing with each other. And if the light at the end of the tunnel is fogged with beer then do your best to make a change. Seriously I am not saying don't drink, good times are nice.  

 

No comments: