Thursday, February 9, 2012

What do you do when the exit is blocked?

I had been going to Mcguire Veteran's hospital since about 2005. My first time I had to call to get directions. 64 east to downtown expressway, take downtown exit, pay the toll, take 95 south then take the Maury Street exit, and after that all you have to do is follow the blue signs to get to the hospital. It was routine.
Last TUesday, I had to get my injection. Obviously I had memorize the trip down and thought it was all routine. I was on 95 south awaiting the maury street exit, but something was off. There were road flares and a big sign saying road work on the exit. I couldn't take the Maury street exit.
I took the next exit which said Mcguire Veteran's Hospital. Only this time there were no blue signs to guide me, and I was in apart of a neighborhood I wasn't to familar with. Would I get my injection which was medication I despartely needed? I drove back and finally found the MAury street and then I followed the blue signs to the V.A.
I got to Mcguire five minutes after my appointment was suppose to start. Another problem arose. The vallet had cones up because the lot was full. THere were no parking spaces. I drove all the way to parking lot 11A. I found a space inbetween two parking spaces. In the middle of these parking spaces was a median so if you park there which I did. The rear of your car would be out in the open. I needed my injection.
I was fifteen minutes late when I arrived. I didn't get into trouble. The receptionist just told me to go back where I had to wait in line for my injection.
What do we do when our exits are blocked? What do we do when something or someone spoils what we take for gran it? THere is no medication when life happens.
When I was 20 I wanted to be a journalist. I went to vcu, and I liked the idea of writing and getting paid for it. I was also going through the early symptoms of a mental illness. At the time I didn't know what was going on, this is just me looking back.
I later dropped out of vcu, and became a pre-school teacher's aid. I was basically joining the family buisness which was teaching. I went to school for it at community college.
A friend of my roomate came into town. I guess he was inbetween goals like I was. He told me how he saw an army recruitor. He wanted to be a combat engineer.
A combat engineer locates mines or i.e.ds. I thought it sounded exciting.
During my freetime I decided to see my army recruitor. I was nervous. 9-11 was still fresh in everyone's mind and maybe I was running away from something.
I signed the line and was later off to basic training and ait for calvary scout. Then I was to Fort Irwin California in the mojave desert. I experience a severe mental breakdown and recieved a medical discharge.
I now get disablity. I can write whenever I want to.
When life happens the best thing we can do is react. Too bad none of us can predict the future. LIfe can leave a sting like a shot in your arm.
When I got back from the military it was a tough transistion. My parents didn't know what to do with me, and I didn't know what to do with myself. It was so bad that I was even homeless.
Who was there to answer a prayer, Jesus. I prayed for God to take me out of this. It took time but he did. Who is Jesus to me? Jesus is a rebel. WHen he was on earth (and I am sure he still does this) he questioned religious instittuions, and the government. He bought in a prostitute and a crazy man. That rights he accepts people who for the most part have been rejected by the world. Christianity isn't necssarily kakis and a tie. It turns your doom and gloom into a feeling of satisfaction. Here I am schizophrenic and I am actually satisfied. There was a time when I thought that would never happen. Can you say you are satisfied?

No comments: