Monday, June 20, 2011

The Roots 2/8/05

After being discharged from the army and filing for unemployment,I heard the Roots were coming into town on the sixth of this month. I used to have all the albums. I bought the first one on my own, somehow Things far apart ended up in my cd book, and when I was still stationed at Fort Irwin, California I bought Phrenology and Tipping Point at the post exchange. ALthough I wasn't going to college and not even enrolled in vcu, I used my old student ID card to get the student discount.
I thought it was going to be more of a hassle then it actually was, but after the full assault on the campus at vcu, and enough ground forces all I needed was an atm.
When I attended vcu as a student for a semester, 9/11 hit, and it was part of the force that motivated me to join the army. Finally there was something better to do then the usual bar.
After the grooves of JOhn Legend's vocals, they were announced as the hardest working band in show bizz. This wasn't just a typical hip hop group known for robust women stretching it all out for the lights of the student body at the segal center. They were a band of experienced musicians influence ranging from African beats, to rock, the muse from the club, and oldies soul. I was suppose to cover this without a press pass, and just my own ears and pen.
The songs during their set merged into one another in almost punk fashion, but there was no blast beats and thunderous bar chords. They played an underrated song on their new album, Everybody is a Star. I played this when I was coming back from Fort Irwin cross country. UNfortunatley, the cd player broke down in El Paso Texas. However, as the Calvary says, "drive on."
The bass solo had a point where it sounded like raindrops on a tin roof. The bassist fingers had enough rage and emotion to make it sound like a percussion instrument. The guitar solo had an influence of Jimi Hendrix, echo through the crowd like a gunshot. The piano player poked fun of Mozart as he played on to the drums in machine rhythm, fluttering your heart like subs and speakers in the back of a car.
If they come again, I encourage you to check them out maybe buy Things Far Apart before you judge the set up of the group's music. Tipping point sporadically fires on the scale, and is a good buy.

No comments: