Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Jazz Freewrite

I was going to review Miles Davis' album Nefertiti, but when I listened to the tenor sax on the album, I realized that is not JOhn Coltrane. It is Waybe Shorter still good but there are nights where I just have to have JOhn Coltrane speak to me the only way he knows how.
Also on the album, MIles Davis didn't write any of the songs. It is either Wayne Shorter, Herbis Hancock,or Tony williams.
This is a good album for a lazy day or after work is over or your errands are over.
I have several John Coltrane albums on my I tunes. Sometimes I listen back to back. I wish I could get you all into jazz because I know some of you are not.
Here is a few theories on how to listen to jazz. It can either just be backgorund music or you can do your best to listen to each note, and think about what it means to you. Maybe look at the title of the song, and then try to figure out why the note is there. Don't stress over it just think what it means to you.
The state of jazz is dreaming. Jazz can be a conversation between instruments sealed in by the drums. Jazz can be seen as a relative that visits out of the blue when you don't know what to listen to.
I like this album but I miss Coltrane.
For those of you who want to get into Jazz. I suggest starting with MIles Davis' KInd of Blue. I would like to recommend more albums but for the most part a person should take there own journey.
I personally never got into fusion. THis is a invention by MIles Davis. Some of Coltrane may be to advance.
I consider jazz my firend.

No comments: