Friday, May 13, 2011

Picasso Exibit a VMFA

Picasso used anything he could get his hands on to create art. Atleast that was how it seemed to me. He used what looked like to be paper towels, pastel which are simliar to crayons on canvas, cloth and wood to name a few.
In the cubism portion of the exibit, I thought one of the paintings looked as if my first grade nephew was trying to make a maze.
The painting entitled Guitar and bottle was 3d. You could see the curves of a guitar as well as rectangular shapes. You really had to stare at the art in Cubism to see what he was going for.
One of my favorites was the painting named weeping woman. You could see the emotion. Maybe this woman is kind of going into convulsions.
My favorite part of the exibit was one that was influence by his wife's Olga health. He had alot of anxiety during this period. Some people described it as troubling imagery. It was very colorful and uplifting to me for some reason.
Picasso had something with eyes. I didn't see two eyes that looked the same in the whole exibit. I don't know what to make of this. Such as the painting named Celestina. Old Celest had one crazy eye. Woman with joined hands had two different eyes. In Bust of a Man one eye wasn't even there.
There was a quote by Picasso on a wall. It read, "Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth." I am sure that people have debated what this quote means. I think it means our hands are the filter for the art which comes out of whatever you want it to be. DIfferent eyes including your own will what is really going on by the lie that was influence by reality.

No comments: