Sunday, May 29, 2011

untitled poem journal entry and a poem named the herd

spent so long in the darkness
that my brain slipped and fell
up side down
flat feet and subtle tattoos
proved I've walked through the fire
to see the light
the void made me question everything even you
tried to fill it with booze one night stands and lust
there is more darkness then there is light
it is easy to stray
your eyes may shut
but light shines through nature and the souls of the righteous
grab hold and we won't fall again

5/29/11
Sometimes there are two pigeons in the tree next to my balcony. Once a pigeon finds a mate, they are with them for the rest of their lives.
I observe them flirting in my tree. I think the male nudges his head on the female. As if he has to touch her and he can't keep still. The female flaps her wings as if she is embarassed by the male's advances. I can't see it but maybe she is blushing.
Maybe they wonder about the guy who is watching them on his balcony.
They eventaully fly away to another tree maybe to their nest or maybe to get privacy.
I haven't seen them for awhile. Maybe the female is pregnant, and the male spends his days finding food and comforting his mate.

The herd

Call for faith
When doubt simmers your brain
Prayer a predator
Distinguishes what is left
The spirit creates solid mentality
Its force gets us moving
Until it feels like a monsoon
Soaking wet
We go back to the herd
The shepherd never sleeps
We flourish with the clear stream
And vegetation

1 comment:

Thelma Putnam said...

Interesting and very good. Keep it up! Have you sent anything to Oxford American?