Sunday, May 8, 2011

Raised on Motown but in a punk band

I was in middle school. I was heavily influenced by 80's punk rock. I liked black flag, social distortion, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, or anything that had that kind of sound.
I was also in a band. I thought of the name. We called ourselves despite the other members disaproval RIOT.
It was just the three of us. I was the tone deaf lead singer. B. was on bass guitar, and S. played the drums. S. could also play the guitar. He would come up with the music, he would teach it to B., and then I would write the lyrics.
Since we were to young to drive, Friday's were our practice days. The three of us would ride B.'s bus, and get off at his bus stop.
One song's lyrics had a straight edge message. Like I said before I was influenced by bands like MInor Threat. This was also the first time I started writing, and usually when you first start to write poetry and lyrics, they are terrible.
One of our songs was called Fences. The first verse went something like this, "You think you're cool but you're a fool, you have no hope so you do your dope."
The chorus would go something like this, Be a man find away out or something.
Anyway it was a straight edge song, but meanwhile when we were getting off B.'s bustop, we were smoking hash and marajuana, and what not.
At the time I thought it made my vocals sound better-kind of raspy.
S. wanted me to sing not scream which is what I usually did.
We practice a few times and tried different guitar players. They of course hated my vocals.
One day S. volunteered us to play infront of our middle school. It was us that would only play two songs and a NIrvana cover band.
We played Fences, and I can remember the stares we got. Most of my classmates listened to Green Day or NIrvana nothing like this.
We also covered "My Girl," by the Temptations. Barry Gorby or whoever wrote that song would have probably been insulted.
We played my girl because the school band learned it. B. was in the band, he taught us. My dad played Motown all the time so I knew the lyrics.
After we PLayed "My Girl," and our two song set was over, the music teacher, whose name was Mr. Lipps came up to me and asked, "What was that!?"
I didn't know how to answer.
The Nirvana cover band went on after us. I think the students enjoyed them alot more then us. I didn't understand this at the time, because I thought we were more original. I started hating NIrvana, and to this day apart of me still does.

No comments: