Sunday, August 19, 2012

Everything is Possible sermon

We are still in Mark.
When my pastor was speaking during this sermon I got an illustration about faith. I figure just for me but I am willing to share.
Imagine, or maybe it is like this,  you have a hole in your heart or soul like Springfield Gorge. You visit the gorge or hole and sometimes that hole visits you. Hear me out. Faith. Do you believe you can get across? Maybe build a bridge, make a rope swing and swing across or jump across. Or maybe you just want to put  a dead end sign there and tell kids to not go near or they will fall in. How can you get across? Are you willing to get across?
My pastor went into that faith can't exist without doubt. He also said in so many words that we are helpless like little kids and that is when God works for us.
A few things comes to mine about my own life. I won't go into it because some of you already know how I personally have been helpless.
How about this story. I haven't touched a cigarette since Father's day. I used to smoke so much that my fingers were brown. I used to smoke so much that I was throwing away ten dollars a day. People who know me figured if I was around then I will be smoking. If I was at a sit down restaurant with my parents then I would have to stand up and go outside to smoke about twice or more.
Now it isn't always a hole but it can be a weight. Smoking was a weight on my shoulders. I had tried to quit. I used the patch, the gum, and even tried cold turkey. Mom had not necssarily given up on me but had stopped bringing it up about how I should quit. Dad was annoying he brought it up often.
It took a scary moment a bad cough and chest pains to realize cigarettes were taking their toll on me. Now I am addicted to lacenges.
When I smoked maybe after coughing a lung up or just looking around my apartment at the clouds of smoke I would pray. "Jesus, I want to quit but it is too hard. Jesus, help me. Jesus is it your will?"
Now I still have cravings, but now I have a little bit more money. Last night I was at a bar. There was a smoker to my left and a smoker to my right. DO you think their cigarettes smelled good? Of course they did, but I had my lacenges and like us all I value control.
Life is alot less stressful when you can talk to God when ever you feel like it. 

No comments: