Wednesday, July 13, 2011

How I got into Modest Mouse

I find that when I ask people if they like MOdest mOUse they would either say No or they just kind of shrugged their shoulders. I can relate back in the day Modest MOuse wasn't "hardcore" enough.
I was living off of Main street on staford in Richmond Va. I was a preschool teachers aid, and I had enough money to pay rent and buy the cheapest cigarettes on the market. I loved music, and had to listen to it. However, couldn't buy any new music.
I had a roomate at this duplex on staford. She let her sister stay with us rent free. Her sister was going out with this guy who she randomly met working at the nearby expensive coffee shop. I never understood how she could afford coffee there.
They dated awhile when he decided to give her a cd of his favorite modest mouse songs. Modest MOuse was on an independent lable. I don't know which one.
She never really listened to it which kind of made me wonder. Do women listen to music given to them by their fellas. I had given several mix tapes out to girls. Do they disregard them?
Anyway...I listened to it, and didn't like it. I listened to it again, because I was tired of my own music. Suddenly something inside was inline with something said in one of the songs. "I am doing the best that I can..." Wow. That was all it takes
I fell in love with them again when I was stationed out in Fort Irwin out in the mojave desert. This time I had money to buy music, but the post exchange had a poor selection. I went there often to cruize the titles, because I missed home. Then I found it, MOdest MOuse, on a major lable. You might recall the album it had Float on and the good times are killing me. I am sure the band had their own meaning to the songs. I am not 100% sure that I am right when I say float on captured the fact I had experience hazing and the pain in my feet from running miles. I saw it as moving on and moving forward.
Then there is the good times are killing me. This one was alittle bit more obvious especially to a drunk like I was. THINK chain smoking hangover having to run 6 miles with foot pain that gave you inflamation that went all the way up to your lower back. On the plus side once you get those endorphins going you feel high.
So I guess I was pretty much forced into liking Modest Mouse and yes I do still like them.

No comments: