Saturday, August 6, 2011

A free write about two catchers

This writing was inspired by Yankees Magzine's article The unforgetable Fire of Russell Martin or the assuming artist.
Can you imagine being a catcher in the majors: having to put on that equipment every game, risking a career ending injury when a base runner coming home and decides he is going to lower his should into you instead of sliding, and then having to squat as someone (on your team) throws a hard ball at you as fast and hard as he can.
To Be a catcher, I figure you have to be a rock, and hard insensitive rock. There is no finese, or real style. After saying that I have to tell you that catcher is one of my favorite positions in all of sports.
In the article, Russel Martin goes though his early struggles, and his work ethic. It also goes into that Martin is as good as his word.
To be honest I skimmed the rest of the article because I wanted to make sure he wasn't compared to Yogi Berra. I didn't want that to happen.
Either way let's analyze these two men. Berra finished his career as the catcher. He was beat up at that position, and his knees are probably gone from squatting all those years. Yet whenever you see him he has that Yogi grin that yogi smile that makes you think the kid is still there. One may conclude that playing catcher for the yankees is the fountain of youth for New York.
Russel Martin came from two parents who were muscians. How did Martin become a catcher? I guess it is similar to an army brat who becomes a non comformist. Russel is in my time and I enjoy watching him play, especially when he hits those home runs. I think people should watch Martin as much as they can so that they can tell future generations that they were there similar to my dad and Yogi Berra.
I know there is only one I say one Yogi Berra but are we witnessing the next in Russel Martin.

No comments: