Friday, August 12, 2011

Jonah Jericho on fitness.

I got up to about 240 pounds, and my doctors were warning me about diabetes before I decided to do anything about it. I guess you could have called me an athlete in a past life, but when I was so heavy it was a beer and pizza diet.
I don't agree with diets or tv shows like the biggest loser. You shouldn't cry your first day. It is a life style change that happens gradually.
When I first started working out, I did the eliptical, because it was low impact and I thought it would be better for my foot problem. My first goal was to do it for ten minutes. That was all I did my first day. Later you learn you should always change your workout so you don't plateau. I would either adjust the resisitance, go longer, or add weight training.
I would make fun of the guy I am now when I was eighteen but I get a high and a thrill from working out that eventaully happens to everyone who sticks with it.
Some of my favorite writers are Charles Bukowski and Hunter S. Thompson they would probably disagree with me. The natural high you feel when the blood is flowing makes you want to live life. Instead, the high you feel after nine beers that would make you feel like you are going to black out or makes you the ass of the party. Then theirs weed it does get you high but sometimes you are so high you can't move. I don't think drugs make good writers, but I do remember thinking that it was more fun. That fun can kill you or put you in prison.
I would like to live untill I am 75. After that I would rather not have people take care of me in like a nursing home. When I am 75 I will start smoking cigarettes and drinking beer again. Which reminds me...
The more you workout the more you reevaluate different life style choices. You want to be healthy.
YOu probably saying to yourself JOnah, I am not motivated. Music MUsic Music. Kids today are making playlist. I have no idea how to do this but I am sure you can figure it out. Recommended songs and cliques: Babbo o' riley, under pressure, wolf like me, riders on the storm, resistance, look up fugazi, weezer, maybe alittle beethoven etc.
MOtivation can also be just a nice sunny day. Don't waste your day with hangover, get those knees up.
as always don't forget my memoir, When we Were Young available at www.jasonjepson.com

No comments: